Friday, August 27, 2010

Age and Fitness

About 3 years ago, I was playing an indoor volleyball game with friends from church and we were having a good time until I dove to dig the ball and landed a little hard on the floor. Normally, this would not be a big deal, but after this impact my lower back felt much different and definitely not normal. I knew that a trip to some doctor was going to be necessary to fix this. Little did I know that what I was going to learn about my bone structure would have an impact on what I could do the rest of my life.


I have a non-symmetrical hip arrangement that is abnormal in the sense that one side of my hip is higher and more forward than the other…..really!!? How can this be? I have never felt lopsided or off balance when I walk or run! It took about 6 (frustrating) months of continual and repeated adjustments to get my hip to stay in the proper position and it was during this time that I decided that I needed to really focus on building up my core strength. Working on and maintaining strong body core strength is more important (in my opinion) than developing a massive chest or “Popeye” arms or bulging thighs or even getting lean so your 6-pak will show. A strong body core is essential in maintaining good posture, to help minimize back problems, to improve overall flexibility and to help keep everything “in place”. These factors are even more important as we get older. The condition of our bodies when we are younger will have an effect on our health and fitness as we progress and reach those “golden” years.

With that being said, it is NEVER too late to reap the benefits of performing and maintaining a regular exercise routine. This is especially true if you are older and feel that your body is going downhill physically. Scientists, fitness experts and medical doctors are preaching more and more about the benefits of performing regular exercise at ANY AGE. Your routine does not have to be hard or difficult to do. You don’t even necessarily have to buy anything. Just by using your own body weight, you can get a thorough workout that involves your whole body. You will notice an improvement in your flexibility and range of motion, increased overall strength and stamina, your mood and attitude about life will be better and you’ll likely find yourself being more active and involved because you just feel better overall. My dad, who has recently retired, is one that has started exercising (walking) and even lifting weights. He has so far, lost 25 lbs and can testify to all the benefits that I just mentioned. Even if you have never exercised a day in your life, I want to encourage you to give it some serious consideration. I strongly suggest and recommend that you consult with your doctor before starting any kind of exercise program to make sure that you are aware of any possible medical barriers that might limit your level of activity.

Do not use your current physical condition as an excuse to reason away the benefits of exercise. There is something that you can do to increase your level of activity, even if that something is only walking to the corner and back in your neighborhood. If you are sadly out of shape, start off by setting short attainable exercise goals and work your way up by continually raising the bar, each time you reach one that you have set. As you feel better and better, challenge yourself a little more. You are going to sweat and be out of breath and probably experience muscle soreness, but that’s all part of it as you get stronger.

Think about your current health status. Except for the very few that have extreme and severe medical conditions, most people just have to choose to not be miserable any more by doing something about it. Let this be the day that you decide to take control of your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment